Recreating Princess Diana's wedding bouquet

What initially started as a month long passion project turned into a 3 month long test of patience and endurance. I'd like to say my craft is all the better for it.

Known as one of the most impressive bouquets in floral history, Princess Diana's bouquet measured  42" inches long and 15" wide. The bouquet consisted of gardenias, stephanotises, freesias, Odontoglossum orchids (royal wedding orchids), lily of the valley, Earl Montbatten roses, hedera ivy, tradescantia, sprig of myrtle (from the original myrtle from Queen Victoria's wedding bouquet), and veronica. To say the lease this was my biggest challenge yet!

My Method

When it comes to starting such big projects I like to stay as organized as possible. I researched extensively other florist who attempted to recreate the iconic bouquet. It was a challenge making the bouquet especially with the lack of clear photos from the time. I found two sites that helped greatly on making the replication happen Marilyn's Royal Blog and Holidappy .There I found lists of the actual plants as well as fun facts about the bouquet. I decided to start with the hardest and most time consuming plant- the hedera ivy.

With most new plant there's a lot of trial and error, this ivy was no exception. I first started off by hand cutting each leaf and than creating a bleach paint mixture to paint on the vine details. Initially I was content with the design but decided later that the entire bouquet needed to be more mixed.I went back to the drawing board and recreated a newer more "natural" looking ivy (pictured first on the left). This ivy was a more muted and olive green than the first. I also used an opaque white paint pen to draw more delicate lines. To make my life easier I also created two paper leaf templates so creating a gradual size decrease would be simpler. 

Once I was satisfied with the look of my ivy I went down my list of plants and made one mock up of each flower or green. I continuously rotated and placed in vases the few flowers I had to make sure that the overall look matched the original. From there it was fairly "simple" to make multiples of certain flowers to create the full flowing bouquet we all know.

GARDENIA

Odontoglossum orchid aka Royal Wedding orchid

HEDERA IVY

Stepanotis

LILY OF THE VALLEY

TRADESCANTIA

FREESIA

EARL MONTENBAUM ROSES

SPRIG OF MYRTLE

Thank you for following along on my adventures!

 

xoxo, Vivian

Audrey Hepburn's wedding crown

I've always been a fan of Audrey Hepburn, not only for her apparent cuteness and fashion sense but also for her humanitarianism. She was an amazing woman indeed.

For February,  I wanted to challenge myself to remake Audrey's wedding crown during her marriage to Mel Ferrer.

Audrey's crown consists of small white roses attached to a thin wood crown base. My crown of course is made of felt and wire :)

My process when making new flower creations is mostly trial and error. This specific project was especially challenging because most of the photos I was working from were all 1.) Black and white and 2.) Low resolution. It than becomes a challenge to really mimic the look rather than copy the actual plant.

Addison and I remaking this very sweet moment between Audrey and Mel.

 

Another very sweet photo of Audrey and Mel and the adorable flower corwn. Hope you all have liked seeing a little of my process :)!

 

 

Till next time!

~ Vivian

The start of 2017

My 2017 goal is to complete one personal project for every month. January being my beloved Addison's birthday month I decided to make a bouquet in honor of the event. Addison is a man of fancy drinks (with a past of bar tending) so I decided to make all the plants in one of his favorite gins- a Bombay Sapphire.

Cubeb, Cassia, and Grains of Paradise
Lemon, Juniper, and Licorice

Almond

Coriander, Angelica, Orris Root

Happy Birthday Addison!

 

XOXO, Vivian